Incoming Student Guide
|Information for candidate student|
|UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION||FIRST PLACEMENT||ATAYÖS (University Entrance Exam organized by Ataturk University)https://oia.atauni.edu.tr/en/atayos/|
|ADDITIONAL PLACEMENT ON SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS||SAT 1|
|GCE (A Level)|
|Exam in Jordan and Palestine Tawjihi|
|ACT (American College Test)|
|Baccalaureate Libanais (Lebenon)|
|University Entrance Exam in Republic of China (GAOKAO)|
|Al Shahada Al Thanawiyya (Baccalaureate) Syria|
|Al Shahada Al Thanawiyya (Baccalaureate) Libya|
|International Science Olympics known and joined by TÜBİTAK|
|YÖS (Foreign Student Exam) held by other universities|
|Secondary education scores (only for Distance Education Faculty)|
|PLACED BY TURKISH SCHOLARSHIPS||Turkish Scholarship grantees for detailed information|
|GRADUATE EDUCATION (MASTER)||FALL TERM||For detailed information|
|DOKTORATE||FALL TERM||For detailed information http://eski.atauni.edu.tr/postgraduate/|
|Information about transfers|
|VERTICAL TRANSFER||Atatürk University doesn’t accept any vertical transfers.|
|UNDERGRADUATE TRANSFER||Turkish citizens in Syria and Egypt and citizens of these countries and also foreign students in these countries who started training in 2013-2014 Academic Year, including associate degree, undergraduate and graduate (except those who study especially in medicine and dentistry) even who began to study preparatory class in 2014-2015 Academic Year can able to make transfer to the higher education institutions in our country.|
|ERASMUS KA103||Mobility with European Union Program Countries (KA103)|
|ERASMUS KA107||Mobility with Partner Countries (KA107)|
|MEVLANA||Supported by Turkish National Council of Higher Education (a.k.a. YOK). It is open to countries, which signed bilateral Mevlana Exchange Program Protocols. For more details https://oia.atauni.edu.tr/en/about-mevlana/|
Who Can Apply Atatürk University By Taking Advantage Of Foreign Students Quota?
- Students, who are either in their last year in high school or graduated,
- Students, who have foreign nationality,
- Students who have Turkish nationality from the birth but take permission from the Ministry of Interior to leave nationality,
- Students who have two nationalities,
- Students who have Turkish nationality but completed their secondary education anywhere else other than Northern Cyprus Turkish Republic (K.K.T.C),
- The applications of citizens of Turkish republic of Northern Cyprus who live in TRNC (K.K.T.C) and completed their secondary education in TRNC or the ones who have the GCE AL exam results by registering in the colleges and high schools in other countries and having education are accepted.
|Additional Placement:||Applications can be made for retained quota with exams given below:|
|SAT 1 Exam;||minimum 400 as the total score and minimum score 200 for mathematics;|
|ABİTUR exam:||minimum 4;|
|Candidates who took the exams of other Higher Education Institutions that Atatürk University recognizes and shows on its website;|
|Secondary Education GPA:||60% of total score (Open Education Faculty can be applied only).|
|Turkey Scholarships:||Can be checked-in until the date given by YTB. Click here for Turkey’s scholarship application form.|
Required Documents For Postgraduate Application
- One passport- size photo,
- Bachelor diploma copy for master, master diploma copy for PHD or graduation certificate and bachelor and postgraduate transcript copies, and also notary certified copy or Turkish Republic foreign representative certified Turkish translation of these documents,
- Students who graduated in abroad, (if available) certificate of equivalence from Higher Education Institution (YÖK) or (if available) the document shows that their university is accepted by YÖK.
Necessary Conditions For Postgraduate Application
- Nominee should apply on time and fill the forms in OBS after online application. The institutions accept applications so necessary documents should be sent to the institutions. If any document is missing, application cannot be evaluated.
- After applications are accepted, nominee should sign in OBS with user name and password then make a preference. Students who do not complete their application cannot be evaluated.
- The applicants that apply for postgraduate programs, are going to select 3 universities for mobility (1 for Fine Arts Faculty) if they complete the application requirements. The applicants are placed for preferred university considering their fulfillment of entry requirements. After first placement, accepted students’ list are announced through our website.
- Those who will apply for doctorate program should have foreign language exam (YSD) (other than mother tongue) score minimum 55 or any other exam that is accepted by Inter University Committee.
- Those who will apply with licence or postgraduate diploma can only make two preferences.
- Foreign students do not need an ALES score.
- Students should check –in to the related institutions on the given dates.
- If students cannot make their registration by themselves without a valid excuse, they can make their registration by means of their deputation on given dates. Applicants should submit necessary documents to the related institutions.
- If students do not register for any reason on the given dates, they will lose their right to be a postgraduate student even if they have been placed. Those students are also not regarded in second placement.
- The applicants’ scores in 4 point grading system on their transcripts are converted to YÖK’s hundred table.
- For the postgraduate applications, %70 of licence average, %30 of Turkish language scores are assessed.
- For doctorate applications %70 post graduate average, %30 Turkish language scores are assessed.
- According to nominees’ scores, students are placed starting from the highest scores to the institutions.
Either DİLMER or three-person jury chosen by the Institute Executive Committee holds Turkish language exam. In order to be considered successful and start the courses, student should get minimum 70 out of 100.
- For the students who failed in the exam can either take courses at DİLMER or they are given permission for one year in order to learn Turkish by their own efforts.
- According to criteria of European Common Languages, students who already have B2 or above level are exempt from Turkish Language Exam.
- If the higher education institutions that the accepted students graduated have equivalence or accepted by YÖK, they are registered, if institution does not have equivalence or aren’t accepted by YÖK, their provisional registration isn’t completed. After their equivalence is signed up by YÖK, they are registered otherwise they are discharged.
Language of Instruction
Language of instruction is Turkish in many departments of Atatürk University. English taught departments are:
– Faculty of Medicine
– Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (30% English)
When necessary or demanded, the other departments could open English taught classes. If you enroll a Turkish taught programme, you need to learn Turkish. Turkey is the most convenient country for international students who take their education in English and want to learn Turkish, which is one of the mostly spoken languages in the world. If you are enthusiastic about taking education in Turkey and learning Turkish, you can fulfill it through the centers below:
- Language Centers at the related universities (like DİLMER at Atatürk University)
- Turkish Education Center (TOMER)
- Yunus Emre Turkish Cultural Centre
- Private Language Courses
- Student Clubs
About Ataturk University DILMER
Depending on emerging economy of Turkey and increasing importance between nations, in the World, especially in our area, number of people who want to learn Turkish is increasing day by day. To meet this increasing demand, to contribute to popularization of Turkish language in international communication; to contribute to the international relations of Turkey and our university Language Training Application and Research Center was established within the structure of our university in 1993.
According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, with experts in their fields, DİLMER carries on the activity of education by using modern language learning methods and technologies in its small-sized classrooms. When necessary, our Center is in a position to get support from the Department of Turkish Language and Literature at Faculty of Arts and Department of Turkish Language and Teaching at Faculty of Education.
Ataturk University Education Programs
Our courses are arranged according to the Common European Framework of Reference’s language levels and provide communicative and student centered training.
Our courses and certificates;
- A1-A2 (Basic Level)
- B1-B2 (Intermediate Level) and C1-C2 (Advanced Level)
- Optional diction courses
- Atatürk University undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Atatürk University instructors and staff
- Occupational groups and vocational career candidates
Turkish Scholarships are offered i variety of fields. By getting this scholarship you are becoming able to study in university as scholarship student. For more update information about Turkish scholarships please visit https: www.turkiyeburslari.gov.tr
In our University was established a unit of Presidency fot Turks Abroad and Related Communities. You can get detailed information about this scholarship from this unit. You can also get more information at www.ytb.gov.tr
What are Turkey ScholarShip
- Turkic Speaking Countries Scholarship Program
- Balkans Scholarship Program
- Black Sea Scholarship Program
- Harran Scholarship Program
- Türkiye-Africa Scholarship Program
- Bosphorus Scholarship Program
- Ali Kuşçu Science and Technology Scholarship
- İbni Haldun Social Sciences Scholarship
- İbni Sina Medical Sciences Scholarship Program
- Yunus Emre Turkish Language Scholarship Program
- Islamic Studies Scholarship Program
- Sports Scholarship Programme
- Arts Scholarship Programme
- Turkish Language Program for Public Officials and Academicians
- Research Scholarships
- Success Scholarship Program
- Support Scholarship Program
Education fee amounts are stated in the following lines for foreign students who make their application on their own.
Who Is Exempt From This Fee?
- The Syrian citizens who has positioned universities by the Council of Higher Education,
- Blue cardholders,
- Turkısh citizens completed secondary education in a foreign country except for TRNC.
- Students who continue their education and newly enrolled students do not pay this fee. However, they have to pay it only for once during the first registration. The university pays this fee back in the same semester.
Estimated Living Expenses
An international student on average must spend around 300-400 USD per month for housing, clothing, entertainment, public-transport and telephone. Books and other administrative expenses are around $ 100 per semester. However, it should be noted that your living standard could change these prices considerably.
Erzurum is a good choice for a good education in a good university with a quiet student life and a wide range of places. Ataturk University is one of the most prominent cities in Turkey with its activities and facilities related to winter sports, with 300.000 students and more than 2000 international students. One of the important elements of Turkey and Erzurum in particular is that it can offer a better quality standard with a cheaper lifestyle compared to other cities and countries.
|Monthly general expenses|
|Housing||200 – 300 USD (This fee may be reduced if more than one person shares a house)|
|Books||100 USD (Semester)|
|Lunch on campus||1.9 TL|
|1 litre water||1 TL|
|Fruits-Vegatable||It ranges from 1 TL to 4 TL.|
|Pasta and rice (kg)||It ranges from 1 TL to 4 TL.|
|Sugar and Salt (per kg)||Around $ 2|
|Tea / Coffee (1 cup)||1 TL / 5 TL|
|Internet and Phone charge||Between 20-50 TL per month|
|Minibus Ticket(Student)||1.5 TL|
|Minibus Ticket(Lecturer)||1.75 TL|
|Bus Ticket(Student>||1.75 TL|
|Bus Ticket(Lecturer)||2.00 TL|
|Cinema Ticket||15 TL|
|Concert Ticket||25 TL over|
|Haircut||10 TL over|
Short-term visa applications are carried out e-visa through an online application system and visa can be issued within 3 days. (https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/)
However, the short-term visa only serves for touristic or commercial purposes. For work or study purposes, visas could only be obtained through Turkish Embassies or Consulates.
Regardless of your status, as an exchange student or staff, you need to get Residence Permit from the Bureau of Foreign Residence Registration (Immigration Management) in Erzurum within a month following your arrival.
Our office will send an official notification letter to the Migration Office on your behalf. In order to apply for Residence Permit, you need:
- Application form – The Migration Office provides
- Copy of the passport page with photo
- Copy of the passport page that has last entry stamp on
- 5 passport size photos
- Application fee (100-150 TL)
In order to get detailed information about visa procedures, please visit website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa)
In order to get detailed information about immigration procedures, please visit website Ministry of Interior Directorate General of Migration Management. (http://www.goc.gov.tr/main/Eng_3)
Who And How Can They Benefit From State Dormitories?
“Turkey Scholarship” students are accommodated in Higher Education Credit and Dormitories Institution’s dormitories without deposit and dormitory fees within the quotas allocated until their scholarship is over. The residence address should be indicated in the acceptance letters of the home country before coming to receiving country. For the students matriculated our university with their own facilities, application and registration procedures for dormitories are given below:
- All international students in the Higher Education Credit and Dormitories Institution’s dormitories are treated equally.
- Preparatory class students and university freshmen that are entitled a higher education program for the first time by entering the University Entrance Exam, residence applications of intermediate class students; after the results of the exam are announced by the Student Selection and Placement Center, the e-government is done through the portal. The students who extend the school also apply with the intermediate class students.
- Evaluation results are announced at http://yurtkur.gsb.gov.tr/. After the results are announced, students on backup list are given an application number to follow the additional placements.
- Application is made via e-government portal. (The T.C. identification number is issued after the residence permit has been issued. The port can be registered at the PTT branches.)
- 4 passport-size photos taken in the last six months,
- Registration, ID, dormitory fee and deposit fee receipt / receipt,
- For persons under 18 years of age Family Permission Certificate,
Students who do not register with the relevant dormitories within the given period will lose their rights.
After the registration, the room and bed numbers are given by the dormitory administration.
Postgraduate certain registration documents;
- Four passport- size photos,
- Undergraduate for postgraduate, master’s degree for doctorate, Turkish translation of undergraduate and postgraduate transcript (translation approvals must be made by notary or Foreign Representatives of Republic of Turkey),
- Notarized translations of passports that have “student visa“,
- Photocopy of residence document taken from Provincial Security Directorate (after exact registrations),
- Education fee receipt (they can pay into as Intuitional Collections Transactions with passport number or to any branches of Vakıfbank),
- Foreign students, when they demand, they can pay the fee of Social Security Institution General Health Insurance to account of T.C. Ziraat Bankası 348976785001 in 2016-2017 academic year fall semester,
- Registered students, must report their temporary Foreign Citizen of T.C. numbers to institutes.
UNIVERSITY IDENTITY CARD OF FOREIGN STUDENTS
- Unidentified previously,
- Lost cards,
- Stolen cards,
- Broken cards since first day,
- Printer errors on the cards,
Those students can demand student identity card by the way of online “identify card” on OBS. After this request, the system sends a message to the student’s recorded telephone number in ÖBS. Students who take this message can take their ID cards from E-Cards Office that is near the central cafeteria.
FOREIGN STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE
- All foreign students who are studying in Turkey can benefit from General Health Insurance. If students benefit from general health insurance, students can take advantage of all public hospitals without any payment and also students can take advantage of private hospitals with paying small contribution. Students can go to our university’s International Student Office for getting information about general health insurance in Turkey. After that, students can go to Social Security Institution and make their application, after registering to Social Security Institution; students can pay the fee monthly within one month.
- If students don’t make an application to general health insurance in three months, after registering, students cannot take advantage of general health insurance which provided by the government. Unlike that, if students have an international insurance, they can use this insurance or they can take advantage of specific insurance, some universities render services of specific health insurance for its own international students.
- Turkey is known with render services of good quality health in return low price. Thus, many patients from neighboring countries as well as developed countries from West prefer to come to Turkey for visual test, surgery etc.
- Until taking advantage of health insurance in Turkey, it is suggested that students should visit their dentist, take their spare glasses and carry an emergency case.
Student Affairs Building International Student Office
University Student Affairs Building, Entrance Floor International Student Office
Exact registration date is published on the official page of Office of International Affairs.
Necessary Documents For Exact Registration:
For Foreign Residents
a ) The original of high school diploma and its translated version into Turkish endorsed by Turkish Foreign Representatives
b) Certificate of Diploma Equivalence ( can be provided at Turkish Foriegn Representatives in your own country)
c) The original academic record ( transcript) and its translated version into Turkish endorsed by Turkish Foriegn Representatives
d) The original document of ATAYÖS exam score.( For additional placement, the original documents of YÖS exam score or SAT 1, Abitur, SAT 1 and Abitur and translated version of them into Turkish endorsed by Turkish Foriegn Representatives.
e) 6 Headshot photos ( 4,5*6)
f) The endorsed copy of the passport and its translated version into Turkish endorsed by Turkish Foriegn Representatives
g) The blue card owners should certify their blue card and should provide their official renouncement document taken from Turkish Ministry of Interior
h) Specified documentary evidence of your financial capacity throughout your education in Turkey. (Except for Turkish citizens)
i) The bank record of tution fee ( The fee is paid to one of the contracted banks providing the number given by the Registrar’s Office during the registration.
j) Certificate of Turkish proficiency ( Candidates who are unable to provide this document will take theTurkish Proficiency Level Test conducted by the university.
k) Certificate of identity register copy (Dual citizens)
For Residents in Turkey
a) The original document of high school diploma and its translated version into Turkish approved by Turkish notery.
b) Certificate of Diploma Equivalence (Taken from provincial directorate of national education)
c) Transcipt document and its translated version into Turkish endorsed by Turkish notery.
d) The original document of ATAYÖS exam score. ( For additional placement, the original documents of YÖS exam score or SAT 1, Abitur, SAT 1 and Abitur and translated version of them into Turkish endorsed by Turkish notery.
e) 6 Headshot photos ( 4,5*6)
f) The endorsed copy of the passport and its translated version into Turkish endorsed by Turkish notery.
g) The blue card owners should certify their blue card and should provide their official renouncement document taken from Turkish Ministry of Interior.
h) Specified documentary evidence of your financial capacity throughout their education in Turkey. (Except for Turkish citizens)
i) The bank record of tution fee ( The fee is paid to one of the contracted banks providing the number given by the student affairs international students office during the registration.
j) Certificate of Turkish proficiency ( candidates who are unable to provide this document will take theTurkish Proficiency Level Test conducted by the university.)
k) Certificate of identity register copy (dual citizens).
Students who are unable to provide the required documents or are able to provide some of them cannot be enrolled.
Students who got the right of enrollment, have to certify their financial capacity for education and living cost announced at the university website by means of an internationally recognized document every academic year.
Students who come from Syria, Iraq and Libya and completed their secondary education at Temporary Education Centers and obtained “ Diploma/Certificate of Temporary Education Center” and enrolled in Open Education High School must certify their graduation.
The Documents That Must Be Taken After Registration Form:
- Foreign National Information Form,
- Student certificate.
These two documents are needed for students to apply for a Residence Permit after registration to our university.
Necessary Documents To Be Submitted To The Student Affairs Department After The Transaction:
1. Certified copy of the Residence Permit for study purposes (must be submitted to the Department of Student Affairs of International Student Office within one month from the date of enrollment to university)
2. Diploma Equivalence Certificate if not prepared at the time of registration.